Return home
Contact us

Making a submission

Making a submission

What is a submission?

The Disability Royal Commission is now accepting submissions. A submission is the primary way for people and organisations to provide information to the Disability Royal Commission about instances of violence, neglect, abuse or exploitation of people with disability.

Anyone can make a submission ― by telephone, in writing or by asking to appear before the Disability Royal Commission.


How to make a submission

There are several ways to make a submission to the Disability Royal Commission.

1. In writing, online

Submissions can be made in writing on the form on the Disability Royal Commission ’s website.

There are three sections on the submission form. You can answer as many or as few sections as you like, and you can also give information on any other issue covered by the Terms of Reference.

You can provide information about your experiences, your background and any other information you would like to share with the Disability Royal Commission .

Help to use the form is available by contacting the Disability Royal Commission on 1800 517 199 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday).

2. Verbally, over the phone

If you find it difficult to use the form, you can make a spoken submission to the Disability Royal Commission over the phone on 1800 517 199 (9am to 6pm Monday to Friday except national public holidays).

3. By email or post

You can make a submission by email or Australia Post to:

[email protected] 

GPO Box 1422, Brisbane QLD 4001

You can send the Disability Royal Commission  a letter, email or copy of the submission form with your comments on it.

4. By appearing before the Commissioner

The Disability Royal Commission  may grant permission or ‘leave to appear’ to a person or organisation to participate in a public hearing. This requires an application through a form on the Disability Royal Commission’s website.


Help to make a submission

If someone needs help to make a submission, they can ask another person to be their advocate.

The role of an advocate includes supporting the person, helping them to work out any problems or issues with giving their information (such as legal issues, or communication difficulties) and participating in the Disability Royal Commission.

The advocate does not make decisions for the person or tell them what to do.

You can also access a government-funded advocacy support and/or legal aid service through the Disability Royal Commission ’s website.

We can provide free and confidential support to people affected by the Disability Royal Commission, including:

  • emotional support while you are deciding whether or not to make a submission
  • help to make a submission
  • support if you are appearing before the Disability Royal Commission.


Contact us

Phone: 1800 317 387 (for the cost of a local call)

Email: [email protected] 

Our service is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (except on public holidays and between Christmas and New Year).


Communication assistance

Interpreters are available for languages other than English if required.

National Interpreter Symbol

If you are Deaf/deaf, hard of hearing and/or have a speech impairment, we welcome calls through the National Relay Service.

Step 1: Call 133 677

Step 2: Choose your access options. Visit the National Relay Service website for different call numbers.

Step 3: When asked by the relay officer, provide our phone number 1800 317 387.

For urgent assistance

If you are currently experiencing any form of violence or abuse, or are concerned for your safety, call emergency services on 000 and ask for the Police.

If you need to speak to someone urgently, please call one of the following services:

  • If you are feeling overwhelmed or thinking about self-harm or suicide, call Lifeline Crisis Support on 13 11 14 at any time
  • If you need free, immediate, short-term counselling with a trained mental health professional, call Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36 at any time
  • For information and support, call the Disability Royal Commission National Counselling and Referral service on 1800 421 468 between 9am and 6pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.

For additional support, view our list of external disability support services.


Relationships Australia Victoria is one of the two organisations in Victoria providing a Counselling and Support Service for People Affected by the Royal Commission. drummond street services is the other organisation.

Quick Exit