Learn strategies to diffuse difficult situations, manage intense emotions, and move towards positive solutions.
Everyone gets frustrated or angry on occasion, particularly when they are under pressure. Most people deal with their anger and frustrations in ways that are socially acceptable and appropriate. Other people however, may deal with their anger and other strong emotions in unhelpful ways that do not lead to a resolution. They may even make the situation worse.
In this workshop, we will discuss and practice strategies that you can use to diffuse situations where clients, colleagues or community members may be exhibiting strong emotions and/or difficult behaviours.
When using these strategies, it is important to have an understanding of your own particular triggers and how you can manage your own emotions.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- explain how and why people react to difficult situations physically and emotionally
- apply strategies for helping others to manage emotions
- develop and apply effective communication skills
- articulate and apply conflict management strategies
- demonstrate an understanding of how to monitor and maintain self-care.
A range of workers in community organisations, social services, schools or businesses dealing with challenging clients or colleagues.
About the presenter
Lucille Hart is an experienced facilitator at Relationships Australia Victoria. Lucille holds qualifications in psychology, the social sciences and meditation and is experienced in the provision of mental health, healthy relationship, family support, rehabilitation, family violence and psychoeducational services. Lucille regularly facilitates training and professional development for government and non-profit organisations where staff are exposed to Vicarious Trauma through working with clients experiencing disadvantage. Lucille has substantial experience working in community organisations as a coordinator, trainer and facilitator and regularly provides training in areas including healthy relationships, wellbeing, vicarious trauma, maintaining professional boundaries and managing difficult conversations.
Please note, in order to participate in this workshop, you will need access to the following:
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Reliable internet connection
- Webcam (built in to your computer, or input separately)
- When you click to register, you will be taken to our new and improved payment gateway. Once you complete your registration you will receive an email detailing how to access your learning event in our Moodle Learning Management System.
- Registration cut-offs:
- Workshop registrations will close two business days before the event.
- Workshops must be paid for at least two business days before the training date, or your registration will be cancelled.
- Training Workshops Cancellation Statement [PDF, 1MB]
Training and Development Team
Phone: (03) 8573 2222