At some stage over their careers, many people will find themselves needing to support or help a colleague or a friend who is in difficult circumstances.
Counselling skills can often assist in the management of the colleague or friend’s emotional response to an issue or event.
Other situations where a person may need to be the 'casual counsellor' include helping a staff member who is a direct report, helping a student or parent in an education setting or assisting a client in a non-clinical situation.
We will discuss and practice strategies that you can use to diffuse situations where clients, colleagues or community members may be exhibiting strong emotions and/or difficult behaviours.
When using these strategies, it is important to have an understanding of your own particular triggers and how you can manage your own emotions.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- identify when a colleague/staff member/client is not coping emotionally
- apply knowledge of how to decide when to intervene or assist
- demonstrate basic counselling skills including listening, using empathy, questioning and reframing
- apply strategies for their own reactions and the need for self-care.
Staff in a range of workplaces including the community, education, health and business sectors who may need to support colleagues or clients.
About the presenter
Lilia Szarski is a clinical supervisor and experienced trainer at Relationships Australia Victoria and a qualified, registered psychologist. She is also a member of the Australian Psychological Society, International Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, and the International Association of Applied Psychologists.
Please note, in order to participate in this workshop, you will need access to the following:
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Reliable internet connection
- Webcam (built in to your computer, or input separately)
- When you click to register, you will be taken to our new and improved payment gateway. Once you complete your registration you will receive an email detailing how to access your learning event in our Moodle Learning Management System.
- Registration cut-offs:
- Workshop registrations will close two business days before the event.
- Workshops must be paid for at least two business days before the training date, or your registration will be cancelled.
- Training Workshops Cancellation Statement [PDF, 1MB]
Training and Development Team
Phone: (03) 8573 2222