International Women’s Day
International Women’s Day (IWD) is held annually on 8 March to celebrate the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women; raise awareness about gender bias and encourage people around the globe to take action for equality.
We’re proud to celebrate the dedicated and hardworking women who work at Relationships Australia Victoria (RAV). We also recognise and celebrate the achievements of all women around the world, including women with disability, LGBTIQA+ women, women of colour and First Nations women.
This year’s IWD theme, #BreakTheBias, encourages us all to:
- ‘Imagine a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes, and discrimination. A world that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated. Together we can forge women's equality. Collectively we can all #BreakTheBias.’ – International Women’s Day
How can I get involved?
Getting involved can be as big or as small as you like. You can share on your social media, organise a community event, or anything in between. Check out our ideas below to get started.
- Recognise and celebrate the achievements of women in your community, for example, at a staff meeting, on your organisation’s intranet, or on social media (with permission).
- Plan an event or activity in your workplace
- Find a community event on the IWD website, Eventbrite, Facebook, or your local city council website.
- Access #BreakTheBias Selfie Cards to show support and encourage others to help forge women's equality.
- Build awareness and start a conversation online by sharing IWD resources and tagging #IWD2022 and #BreakTheBias on social media.
Here at RAV, we’ll be sharing information with our staff about the history and significance of the event, encouraging them to reflect on how they can #BreakTheBias and recognising the work of the women in our organisation who make up 78.9 per cent of our workforce.