Managing Back-to-School Anxiety
Returning to school after the holidays, or starting school for the first time, can be a big change for both kids and parents.
While many children may find it exciting, it’s also not uncommon for children to feel scared or anxious about the transition, particularly in the current COVID-19 context.
The following resources can help you to support your children as they adjust.
- Starting school, Relationships Australia Victoria
- COVID-19: Supporting children to return to school, Relationships Australia Victoria
- School refusal: children 5-8 years, Raising Children Network
- Tackling back-to-school anxiety, Beyond Blue
- BRAVE – An online program helping children and teenagers to overcome anxiety, University of Queensland
Six books about anxiety that you can read with your children
- The Invisible String, Patrice Karst, Patrice Karst, Joanne Lew-Vriethoff (4-8 years)
- Under the Love Umbrella, Davina Bell, Allison Colpoys (3-7 years)
- Ruby Finds A Worry, Tom Percival (3-6 years)
- The Whatifs, Emily Kilgore (4-6 years)
- It’s OK to Feel the Way You Do, Josh Langley (ages 5+)
- Hey Warrior: A Book for Kids About Anxiety, Karen Young and Norvile Dovidonyte (ages 5+)