This workshop introduces non-legal practitioners, such as psychologists, counsellors and social workers, to the requirements and legal obligations of writing court reports, attending court as a witness or support person, and your responsibilities to your clients.
We will examine commonly-requested reports such as Parenting Reports, Child Assessments, Family Reports, and Intervention Order assessment reports. Consideration will be given to the laws which govern these reports, including the Family Law Act 1975 and the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- how the Family Court, Melbourne Magistrates’ Court and Federal Circuit Court of Australia operate
- the requirements of attending court as a witness who is subpoenaed
- the requirements of attending court as a support person
- the purpose, structure and use of a court report
- how to analyse how reports are used in courts, and the issues that may arise in the process of cross-examination
- how to analyse the impact of having an ongoing professional relationship with clients after the process of court preparation.
Non-legal practitioners, such as psychologists, counsellors and social workers.
About the presenter
Lilia Szarski is a clinical supervisor and experienced trainer at Relationships Australia Victoria and a qualified, registered psychologist. She is also a member of the Australian Psychological Society, International Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, and the International Association of Applied Psychologists.
Please note, in order to participate in this workshop, you will need access to the following:
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Reliable internet connection
- Webcam (built in to your computer, or input separately)
- When you click to register, you will be taken to our new and improved payment gateway. Once you complete your registration you will receive an email detailing how to access your learning event in our Moodle Learning Management System.
- Registration cut-offs:
- Workshop registrations will close two business days before the event.
- Workshops must be paid for at least two business days before the training date, or your registration will be cancelled.
- Training Workshops Cancellation Statement [PDF, 1MB]
Training and Development Team
Phone: (03) 8573 2222