Do you work with clients who sometimes get 'stuck'? Join us to learn micro skills for meeting clients at their stage of change.
Learn how to harness your clients’ intrinsic motivation to change their thinking and behaviour.
Motivational interviewing is a counselling technique that focuses on bolstering a client's motivation for change through 4 key principles:
- Resist the urge to correct.
- Grasp the client's intrinsic motivations.
- Approach with empathy.
- Empower the client.
It’s particularly useful for situations where clients have mixed feelings about changing their behaviour.
Originally developed to treat alcohol addiction, motivational interviewing is unique in empowering people to take responsibility for their own recovery.
In this webinar, you will:
- be encouraged to reflect on your current understanding of how and why people change
- discover how motivational interviewing can help facilitate behaviour change
- learn how motivational interviewing techniques can be helpful in client work
- explore strategies for helping clients who are paralysed by mixed feelings about change to get ‘un-stuck’
- gain techniques for encouraging clients to examine the benefits of change and identify what isn’t working about their current situation or thinking patterns.
Clinicians, social workers, community organisation workers, health professionals, youth workers, child and family workers and counsellors at any level of experience who support clients experiencing challenges in their therapeutic progress.
About the presenter
Jeff Roberts is a clinical psychologist with more than 15 years’ experience in counselling and mental health settings across Australia and internationally. Jeff specialises in men's health and is also experienced working with LGBTIQA+ communities on a range of different issues including depression, anxiety, sexual health and interpersonal issues. He is highly experienced in performing IQ, personality and memory testing. Jeff is also experienced in coaching, training and leadership development within the corporate sector.
Registrations close 48 hours before the webinar start time.
If paying by invoice, proof of payment needs to be provided at least 24 hours ahead of the event.
In addition to the live event link, all registrants will receive a link to the webinar recording post-event.
When you click to book, you will be taken to our payment gateway. Once you complete your registration you will receive an email detailing how to access your learning event in our Moodle Learning Management System.
Please note that you'll need access to the following to participate in this webinar:
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Reliable internet connection
- Headphones recommended
- Webcam (built in or external to your computer)