About this course
Professional boundaries are the legal, ethical and organisational frameworks that protect both clients and employees, or workers, from physical and emotional harm, and help to maintain a safe working environment for themselves and their clients. They help workers to make objective decisions about the therapeutic process to most effectively assist clients to achieve their goals.
Sometimes we encounter challenging situations in our therapeutic work which can make maintaining these boundaries difficult. For example, if a client offers gifts, invites the worker to a social function, or wants to extend the therapeutic relationship beyond the service provided, e.g., be your friend or divulge information that is not relevant to the therapeutic goals.
Situations such as these require workers to have a clear understanding of their role and ethical principles, and the organisation’s policies and code of conduct. It is also important for workers to be clear and assertive with clients about the boundaries of their role and what is appropriate behaviour for the therapeutic process.
- This self-paced online course will go live with all modules of content released on Monday 21 February 2022.
- The course is estimated to take approximately 15 hours to complete over a 6-month period, from Monday 21 February 2022 to Monday 22 August 2022.
- Throughout the course, you will be asked to participate in discussion forums and learning activities that will help you to apply the course content to your own context. This integrated and practical approach to learning will enable you to go back to your workplace with new and innovative learnings that can be implemented straight away.
- The discussion forums will be monitored from Monday 21 February 2022 to Monday 22 August 2022.
- In late-August 2022, the course trainer will create a personalised video for you, in response to any specific questions raised in the final discussion forum.
- If you take longer than 6 months to complete the course, that's fine too, you just won't get as much interaction with the trainer. You will have access to the course content until Monday 20 February 2023, however you will not be able to access the discussion forums and trainer support after 22 August 2022.
- After working through the course content, students complete an end-of-course multiple-choice assessment which requires a score of 80% or higher to pass (multiple attempts are allowed).
- A Certificate of Completion is available upon successful completion of this course.
Accessing the course
- When you click to register, you will be taken to our new and improved payment gateway. Once you complete your registration you will receive an email detailing how to access the course content in our Moodle Learning Management System.
Training and Development Team
Phone: (03) 8573 2222