An individual’s connectedness to their family support system is key to reintegration and often operates as a deterrent against re-offending.
Often there is a lot of grief and loss, judgment, pre-conception and biases present when it comes to offenders and family connection. This workshop will address the importance of family connection for offenders, with particular focus on understanding the different roles of individuals in a person’s life, the importance of visits, and how to support clients with any emotions they may experience.
In this workshop, participants will learn about the following topics:
- Addressing perceptions of family and offenders
- Supporting visits and why this is integral
- Who is their family – where will they go?
- The importance of parents to be able to parent from the inside
- A wholistic approach and the importance of children seeing their parents
- Strategies to assist in preparing before and after visits
- Understanding the need for strategies to prepare for family coming home
- How family assists with addressing criminogenic risk
- What resources and supports are available
Professionals working with a Correctional cohort and/or supporting families.
About the presenters
Samantha Winnick, Taylor Morris and Luke McCord deliver the LINCS program at Relationships Australia Victoria. It is an educational workshop specifically designed for offenders who are subject to a Community Correction Order and is funded through Corrections Victoria.
LINCS workshops are designed to improve participants’ capabilities and strengths, using skills-based activities that also identify strategies and supports that are relevant to each module. The activities also highlight the importance of the participants’ internal and external capacity in terms of their social supports, employment opportunities and access to education.
Please note, in order to participate in this workshop, you will need access to the following:
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Reliable internet connection
- Webcam (built in to your computer, or input separately)
- When you click to register, you will be taken to our new and improved payment gateway. Once you complete your registration you will receive an email detailing how to access your learning event in our Moodle Learning Management System.
- Registration cut-offs:
- Workshop registrations will close two business days before the event.
- Workshops must be paid for at least two business days before the training date, or your registration will be cancelled.
- Training Workshops Cancellation Statement [PDF, 1MB]
Training and Development Team
Phone: (03) 8573 2222